FEELING SUICIDAL? For 24-hour counsel, call:
NATIONAL VETERANS CRISIS HOTLINE 1-800-273-8255
NATIONAL SERVICE DOG DIRECTORY
DRUG REHABILITATION – REFERENCE & IN-PATIENT
HYPERBARIC MEDICINE OXYGEN THERAPY FOR TBI AND PTSD
This clinic has two offices. One in Fort Walton Beach Florida and one in Destin, Florida. Say that you are a veteran. Also, see the VNRC video on this that is found elsewhere on this web site.
HYPERBARIC MEDICINE INTERNATIONAL
There is an International Association for Hyperbaric Medicine. This is the link.
BURN PIT LUNG SYMPTOMS
AIRBORNE HAZARD AND OPEN BURN PIT REGISTRY
(BURN PIT REGISTRY — VA)
OPIOID AND HEROIN SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Great Guides on understanding your opioid prescription drug and how to prevent and recover addictions to heroin. – From US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT!
ALCOHOLISM TREATMENT ENTERS FOR PTSD
Alcoholism in veterans is a very serious problem. Veterans consistently show higher rates of alcoholism than the general population, despite the many resources available specifically dedicated to helping former service members overcome addiction. The link immediately following is a good starting point.
SLEEP IMPROVEMENT THERAPIES FOR PTSD & TBI VETERANS
A primary symptom of PTSD and TBI is sleep deprivation. It has many causes, and often springs from the chronic adrenaline drip that goes with PTSD and some TBI. But it is especially important to control the symption because it affects mental health and is also associated with cancer due to the resultant weakening of the body’s immune system.
HOLISTIC HEALING FOR PTSD – IMMERSION WORKSHOPS
Phoenix Is Rising is a unique holistic healing program for PTSD that brings a variety of holistic therapies to the table – all in one place – so that the correct mix of therapy is found. The Executive Director, Sylvia Bischoff, is a licensed psychotherapist.
Point of Contact is:
Sylvia Bischof, Phoenix Is Rising, 4440 PGA Blvd, Suite 600, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
This is their web site: www.phoenixisrising.org
This is a link to a radio interview with Sylvia Bischoff that explains the program. https://www.jamesmillerlifeology.com/veterans-sylvia-bischoff/
FREE CRAFT KITS FOR DISABLED & ELDERLY VETERANS IN FACILITIES
HEAL VETS carries hundreds of various craft kits that fall within four primary categories — woodworking, leather, painting and scale modeling.
The kits are absolutely free, including all shipping costs. HEAL VETS Kits range in difficulty from level 1 to level 4 (1 being the most simple).
Each kit comes with a thank-you postcard, allowing the veteran to write a personal note of thanks directly to the donor. Postage has already been paid by HEAL VETS, so once card(s) are completed they may be picked up by your postal carrier or dropped into any USPS mailbox.
If your facility is interested in becoming a recipient of HEAL VETS arts and crafts kits, please complete the form shown in the link below. Once your submission has been received and reviewed, staff will contact you to discuss your individual needs.
USE THIS LINK TO APPLY FOR THE KITS!
BEGINNERS MEDITATION GUIDE
Various forms of meditation, from Christian meditation, to Buddhist meditation to #Transcendental Meditation are generally recognized as aids for sufferers of PTSD, MST and TBI. This guide for beginners anticipates that you will try it with someone who is experienced. If you cannot find a battle buddy, centering around a positive word (mantra) that is signicant to you is a good place to start. If you are of a faith that has a Holy Scripture, selecting a word from the scripture to recite silently can work. Something as simple as listening to your breathing or your heartbeat, while sitting silently, can also work. It is worth an effort to see if it works for you!
BIG PICTURE DATA ON PTSD AND TBI
This is from the Congressional Research Service, and is an excellent source of big picture data on all Post 9-11 operations. You may have to copy and paste the link.
50 STATE SERVICES: VETERANS SERVICES OFFICES, OTHER
If you are moving into a state, these are a good first point of contact. Although they are state agencies, they are knowledgeable about who to contact federally and locally. They can tell you not only about VA but also state and local benefits.
- AK: Alaska Office of Veterans Affairs
- AL: Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs
- AR: Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs
- AZ: Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services
- CA: California Department of Veterans Affairs
- CO: Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs
- CT: Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- DC: DC Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs
- DE: Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs
- FL: Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- GA: Georgia Department of Veterans Service
- HI: Hawaii Office of Veterans Services
- IA: Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs
Click on a county in the map or text below for information on the veterans’ services and assistance available in your county. If you need further assistance, contact the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs.
Adair | Adams | Allamakee | Appanoose | Audubon | Benton | Black Hawk | Boone | Bremer | Buchanan | Buena Vista | Butler | Calhoun | Carroll | Cass | Cedar | Cerro Gordo | Cherokee | Chickasaw | Clarke | Clay | Clayton | Clinton | Crawford | Dallas | Davis | Decatur | Delaware | Des Moines | Dickinson | Dubuque | Emmet | Fayette | Floyd | Franklin | Fremont | Greene | Grundy | Guthrie | Hamilton | Hancock | Hardin | Harrison | Henry | Howard | Humboldt | Ida | Iowa | Jackson | Jasper | Jefferson | Johnson | Jones | Keokuk | Kossuth | Lee | Linn | Louisa | Lucas | Lyon | Madison | Mahaska | Marion | Marshall | Mills | Mitchell | Monona | Monroe | Montgomery | Muscatine | O’Brien | Osceola | Page | Palo Alto | Plymouth | Pocahontas | Polk | Pottawattamie | Poweshiek | Ringgold | Sac | Scott | Shelby | Sioux | Story | Tama | Taylor | Union | Van Buren | Wapello | Warren | Washington | Wayne | Webster | Winnebago | Winneshiek | Woodbury | Worth | Wright
- ID: Idaho Division of Veterans Services
- IL: Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- IN: Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- KS: Kansas Commission on Veterans’ Affairs
- KY: Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs
- LA: Louisiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- MA: Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services
- MD: Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs
- ME: Maine Veterans’ Services
- MI: Michigan Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
- MN: Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
- MN: Women’s Meeting – St Paul 3rd Monday of the Month
- MO: Missouri Veterans Commission
- MS: Mississippi Veterans Affairs Commission
- MT: Montana Veterans Affairs Division
- NC: North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs
- ND: North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs
- NE: Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- NH: New Hampshire State Veterans Council
- NJ: New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs
- NM: New Mexico Department of Veterans’ Services
- NY: New York Division of Veterans’ Affairs
- NV: Nevada Office of Veterans’ Services
- OH: Ohio Governor’s Office of Veterans’ Affairs
- OK: Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs
- OR: Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- PA: Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- RI: Rhode Island Division of Veterans Affairs
- SC: South Carolina Office of Veterans Affairs
- SD: South Dakota Division of Veterans Affairs
- TN: Tennessee Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- TX: Texas Veterans Commission
- UT: Utah Division of Veterans’ Affairs
- VA: Virginia Department of Veterans Services
- VT: Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs
- WA: Washington Department of Veterans Affairs
- WI: Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs
- WV: West Virginia Division of Veterans Affairs
- WY: Wyoming Veterans Benefits
50 STATE VETERANS BENEFITS
Many vets are unaware that states offer veterans benefits in addition to those offered by the VA. Here is a great article that shows those benefits for all 50 states:
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE VA’s PTSD MONTHLY NEWSLETTER (EMAIL APP AT TOP OF PAGE)
Cut and paste this link.
CREDIT GUIDE FOR MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS
This contains a variety of “Need to Know” and “Good to Know” information on your credit rights as a service member.
Bad Credit Issues
GUIDE FOR AGING VETERANS – NATL COUNCIL FOR AGING CARE’s GUIDE ON MILITARY BENEFIT OPTIONS
GET A PSYCHOLOGY DEGREE IN PTSD!
University of Maryland offers a psychology degree with emphasis in PTSD.
APPLYING FOR A VA LOAN
Great set of starter pamphlets on how to use the VA loan program from US News and World Report:
TRAVELING WITH PAIN – A HANDBOOK ON COPING
Great little guide for those travelling with migraines, chronic injury, degenerative pain, surgical pain and the like.
TRAVEL GUIDE AND TRAVEL SERVICES FOR VETERANS
TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS FOR VETERANS AND VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS
Getting from point A to B, is especially difficult for transportation disadvantaged vets. In rural areas it can be almost insurmountable. But help in understanding your options is here!! Review this booklet on getting help with transportation!
NUTRITION CONNECTION TO DEPRESSION AND MENTAL HEALTH – FOR VETERANS